Friday 6 March 2009

Nelson Bay


Nelson Bay, NSW
I'm on the last day of a week's holiday with my family in beautiful Nelson Bay on the NSW mid-North Coast. It's a sea kayakers' dream destination, with spectacular offshore islands within an hour's paddle, or the full blown adventure of Broughton Island about 15km from the heads of the bay. It's been a sometime venue for Rock & Roll &  I've spent time exploring the outside of the bay, but this sunny week has given me a chance to explore the inside from our camp ground at Soldiers Pt, around 10km inland. I've had a few races in my Rapier 20, including a bizarre 17km tidal paddle from the jetty in Soldiers Pt to the Nelson Bay Marina & back, which took an hour on the outward journey & 26 minutes on the way back on a windless day. If the Rapier isn't the dead fastest sea kayak to have touched the briny I'm a poor judge; I just wish I had a strong enough stroke to get it to it's hull speed, which feels limitless. Two months of weekly paddles & it no longer has an 'edge' about it either, and the improvement in my paddling in less challenging kayaks like my Aquanaut is noticeable. I can only recommend that sea kayakers looking to make a quantum leap in their skills & confidence should also look at owning a tougher craft - a modern surf ski or racing ski, or of course one of our peerless Rapier 20's. Once you can ride one of these boats on a following or beam sea, it feels like you can do anything when you jump back into a sea kayak.
Deni
I've also had a great time with Nicole & our little girls, who are forever wanting to go for a 'paddle paddle' in Daddy's kayak. Look out Freya, these two little monkeys are gunning......
Deni Ginger demonstrating the high angle forward stroke.
Kiri Starr not watching where she's going......

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Velocimiser Sea Kayak Foil Rudder

After two solid years of R&D, we can finally announce a series of successful sea trials of our new foiling sea kayak rudder, The Velocim...